1. For information COVID-19 medical devices:
New page: Clinical Management of COVID-19
Please visit https://www.who.int/medical_devices/priority/COVID-19/en/
this page includes information related to essential supplies, forecasting tools, donations, SARI treatment centers and the emergency supply system and catalogue.
Please visit https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance-publications for all technical guidance on COVID-19 and select from dropdown menu the topic you are searching for.
These pages are also in various languages:
1.2 Priority medical devices and Technical specifications for procurement of medical equipment with consumables and accessories, can be found:
Technical specifications for pressure-swing-adsorption (PSA plants) (Published final document July 2020)
- Please note some are final drafts and are awaiting final clearance for publication in early October.
List of priority medical devices and technical specifications including:
COVID-19 Technical specifications of invasive and non invasive ventilators V2. (Draft 11 August 2020)
- COVID-19 Technical specifications for procurement of oxygen therapy and monitoring devices (final draft 10 July 2020) pdf, 828kb
COVID-19 Technical specifications for infusion devices (final draft 10 July 2020) pdf, 429kb
- COVID-19 Technical specifications for imaging devices developed with IAEA : portable ultrasound; mobile radiographic digital equipment; computed tomography (CT) scanning system (v 4 August 2020, awaiting final clearance and publication in October) docx, 146kb
2. The updated information on the Personal protective equipment
- Technical specifications for personal protective equipment and related infection prevention and control supplies can be find below.
- COVID-19 Technical Specifications for personal protective equipment, list of standards and checklists. (final draft August 2020) docx, 158kb
- On the use of masks:
- Use of masks for children:
3. On in vitro diagnostics
- Information about emergency use listing, please consult: ( these list includes PCR tests as well as the first antigen rapid test approved September)
- Antigen-detection in the diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection using rapid immunoassays https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/antigen-detection-in-the-diagnosis-of-sars-cov-2infection-using-rapid-immunoassays ( 11 September)
- On Laboratories and diagnostics, documents can be found here
4. On the role of imaging diagnostics, ( now available in 7 languages).
- You can find the role of ultrasound, chest X rays and CT scanners, here.
5. The Emergency Global Supply catalogue. Updated 23 September 2020.
6. News: Member States briefing 1 October 2020
2. Welcome your action on facility survey, country survey and on-line training:2.1 Facility Surveys for biomedical equipment and oxygen supply required to manage COVID-19 and other diseases.
You can use this tool to complete your inventory, then use it to define the gaps of equipment or oxygen sources. The data is owned by the facility and will help do benchmarking, national assessments and to define your needs. If approved by the submitter, will be made public.
then the electronic survey can be found: https://o2therapy.surveycto.com/collect/who_covid_oxygen_therapy_scto_open?caseid= Username:biomedequipment
Soon the survey tool will be available in English, French and Spanish
The excel table for the survey along with multiple technical guidance documents for COVID can be found in all 6 languages:
- Arabic https://www.who.int/ar/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance
2.2 Country profiles - Global atlas of medical devices (2020 update)Global Atlas of medical devices book provides the global, regional and country data particularly on the availability of specific medical devices, policies, guidelines, standards and services.
Please kindly update your country’s information for the Global Atlas on medical devices, so that the information is actual. Steps:
1. Go to https://www.who.int/medical_devices/countries/en/
2. Search for your country in the word version:
Atlas Word document to update your country profile [Word, 4.62mb]
3. Related links:
- WHO Global Atlas of medical devices , 2017 [pdf, 11.63mb]
- Country profiles - Medical devices regulatory systems at country level
- Global Health Observatory (GHO) interactive maps on medical devices
- Global health observatory, data repository
2.3 Training and learning.
https://openwho.org/ “OpenWHO is WHO’s interactive, web-based, knowledge-transfer platform offering online courses to improve the response to health emergencies. OpenWHO enables the Organization and its key partners to transfer life-saving knowledge to large numbers of frontline responders.”
https://www.who.int/about/who-academy/ “With COVID-19 science now doubling every 20 days and new guidance being published daily by WHO, the WHO Academy continues to improve its COVID - 19 mobile learning app so that health workers can keep up with the constantly evolving knowledge related to this disease.”
3. Short term consultancies requested.Requested:
For Biomedical/ Clinical engineers or related disciplines, with more than 7 years’ experience, excellent English.
Postgraduate degree and experience working in hospitals or clinics.
Timeline requested 2 months:
19th October to 18th December, 2020. (possibly one week shift)
When submitting your CV please state for which specific activity, using the reference number.
||Detailed daily monitoring and technical support towards the development of training courses including: Set up, use and maintenance of oxygen concentrators, pulse oximeters, patient monitors, oxygen delivery devices, invasive and non invasive ventilators||The scripts and activities have been developed by previous consultants but the filming is starting 19 October in Toronto, and thus requires specific detailed follow up.|
|3.2 Country support||
Country/ regional support: locally recruited:
a. support facility assessments of biomedical equipment including oxygen sources, (inventory survey listed above)
(when you send your CVs please state which if these tasks (a to g) you have expertise)
|3.3||Global guidance on Donations, collection of data|
|3.4||Global guidance on Local production of personal protective equipment|
|3.5||Global guidance on Local production of medical equipment|
|3.6||Global guidance on Oxygen supply costs and delivery|
|3.7||Global compilation and analysis of facility assessments, monitoring,|
|3.8||Global compilation and data on innovative technologies|
|3.9||Global guidance on Personal protective equipment: standards and quality assurance|